ART art/ärt/ - A wonderful thing which Surat has forgotten in the din of development...
Birendra Pani an artist from Orissa who's works have been exhibited in over 135 exhibitions all over the world... Siraj Saxena who lives by the line - "Visual meanings can not be wholly contained nor fully described in and as verbal meanings"... Piyush Thakker one of the most important artist/art teacher/writer emerging from Gujarat... Saurabh Desai one of the finest Nature and Wild Life photographers from Gujarat... Chinmoyi Patel a Masters in Fine Arts from Goldsmiths, London and the year 2012 has witnessed her participating in Exhibitions in Serbia, Mexico, South Korea & Spain... Megha Katyal the winner of Inlaks fine art award, 2011... Rajarshi Smart who conducted the ART UNDERGROUND CAMP in Surat a while back... Jimmy Chishi an Art Consultant (Puppetry) with Asian Heritage Foundation... Puja Kedia who is also a contributor to this blog, simply loves making photographs, and believes that the real images are made in front of and behind the camera and not inside it...
#MendingFences is a common thread which is joining them and 13 other artists from all over the country and exhibiting their works in Science Centre, Surat from 11th to 14th of October 2012. Curated by Rahul Bhattacharya, (an Independent Art Historian, Joint Secretary of Performers Independent and the co founder of R.A.P.E. Also has been the editor of Art&Deal Magazine, and the curator of Rang Rasiya Freedom of Expression Movement) and Karishma Shah, (an independent art practitioner based in Surat, working with pedagogy and building a new audience for visual arts) such happening are of extremely rare variety in the Surat City, a land better suited for churning out producers than poets. The Project comes out of a shared concern that the audience base for Contemporary Indian Art is too narrow. 'Mending Fences' aims at connecting the language, practice and culture of contemporary. We at the #LifeInSurat Blog would be documenting this event. Surat... a place where the romance of India's timelessness goes up on trial in sweat shops and commercial retail outlets; is slowly but definitely witnessing a cultural shift. Attempts like Bookoholics and #MendingFences are witnesses to that. Here is what curators are planning to present you with, in the form of #MendingFences -
- Oct 11th (5 PM onwards) till Oct 14th (till 8 PM) - An exhibition showcasing the best of the varied practices that are emerging as the future of contemporary art, with a collection of young and early mid career artists.
- Oct 12th (4:00 pm to 7:00 pm) - A Slideshow on "ART PHOTOGRAPHY"
- Oct 13th (6:00 pm to 8:00 pm) - A Bookoholics Meet-Up.
- Oct 14th (11:00 am to 1:00 pm) - A Discussion on 'IMAGE+TEXT & CONTEMPORARY ART' (Piyush Thakker will be present and will be reading his poetry, along with the poetry written by acclaimed artist, the late Bhupen Khakkar)
- Oct 14th (2:00 pm to 3:00 pm) - Showcasing Award-Winning Short Films from the Ahmedabad Film Project.
Do shout for us. Share this post on your Facebook wall, Tweet about this event, Text/Call... make sure the others know of this... for happenings like this are of extreme rare variety in Surat. Let us all contribute to promote a literacy of culture... and not just a culture of literacy.